The Biochemical Society is committed to supporting all our members in the continuation of their professional development.
A Carer Support Grant is offered to make it easier for members to remain engaged with the scientific community through our events programme.
We recognise that care needs and requirements can vary from individual to individual. Carer Support Grants are available to members of the Biochemical Society who require support with additional care costs associated with their participation in a Biochemical Society event or course.
Additional support costs can include, but are not limited to:
- Additional care, medical or respite costs for someone you usually care for, incurred whilst you are participating in the event
- Costs of a carer/companion/requirements to support your attendance at a Society event
- Additional travel and accommodation costs for the above
You will be required to give a full breakdown of costs as part of the application process. Please note that limited funds are available per event, and whilst the Society will endeavour to support successful applicants to the amount required, the Society may not be able to provide full support for the costs of your attendance.
Carer support grants are only available for Biochemical Society Scientific Meetings, Training Events or Courses. This covers both face to face and online meetings. Members can apply as part of the event registration process.
Applications can be made at any time through our event registration process; however applications must be received by the event’s early registration deadline.
Criteria and eligibility
Applicants must be a member of the Biochemical Society by the event early registration deadline. If you are not a member, join today or as part of your event registration.
- Applications for this grant must be received by the event early registration deadline and should be made via the event registration process
- Applicants must complete a personal statement highlighting the relevance of attending the event for their ongoing professional development.
- Applicants must provide details of additional support costs which can include, but are not limited to, additional care responsibilities for a dependant while you are participating in the event, a carer/companion to support your participation in the event, additional travel and accommodation costs associated with the above.
- Applications will be assessed on a case by case basis.
Decisions to award grants are made at the discretion of the Society.